The reason why health-conscious people avoid processed food like nuggets and burgers is because they don’t know what’s in it. There’s also concern about reusing cooking oil. To overcome that, make it on your own!
This is the simplest nuggets you can make yet no less flavourful. I use chicken breast (just like McD) and season it with garlic and onion powder. Both of these powder gives the MSG-like taste that we are so used to at fast food restaurants. Of course, there’s salt and pepper too. Lastly, they are dipped in eggs and breadcrumbs (I like to use panko), before frying.
Why is our homemade nuggets better than store-bought ones?
- You know what goes into your nuggets.
- No artificial flavouring. Only natural seasonings are used.
- Made with quality seasonings e.g sea salt instead of table salt.
- Made with the best meat that we can get: fresh and/or free range-chicken.
- We don’t reuse cooking oil.
I like making my own homemade nuggets to freeze. To me, it’s convenient protein. When I’m hungry and need some snacks, I’ll just dump it in the oven or air-fryer to reheat. When there are unexpected guest, I can serve them with something homemade and delicious. It’s a wonderful fingerfood to serve at parties too!
- Wok + spatula
- Food processor
Homemade Chicken Nuggets - 7 Ingredients
- 400 g chicken thigh (about 2 pieces)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Japanese breadcrumb
- 1 egg, whisked
- Oil for frying
- Step 1 PREP: In a bowl, whisk egg. In a shallow dish, pour in breadcrumbs.
- Step 2 BLEND CHICKEN: Chop chicken into large chunks and blend in a food processor until it turn to a paste.
- Step 3 SEASON CHICKEN: Add garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper powder, and salt. Blend again to mix the seasonings.
- Step 4 FORM NUGGET PIECES: Form 1 tbsp of minced chicken into nugget size. Dip in whisked egg, then dip in breadcrumbs, and place on a plate. Repeat until all chicken is coated with breadcrumbs.
- Step 5 FRY NUGGETS: Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Deep-fry chicken for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Step 6 SERVE: Dish out. Serve hot with a side of chili or tomato sauce. Or let it chill and freeze.
Process 400 g chicken breast into a paste. Add 1 tsp garlic powder + ½ tsp onion powder + ¼ tsp black pepper powder + 1 tsp salt and blend. Form 1 tbsp of minced chicken into nugget size + dip in 1 whisked egg + dip in 1 cup breadcrumbs. Repeat. Fry until golden brown.
PREP: In a bowl, whisk egg. In a shallow dish, pour in breadcrumbs.
BLEND CHICKEN: Chop chicken into large chunks and blend in a food processor until it turn to a paste.
SEASON CHICKEN: Add garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper powder, and salt. Mix well.
FORM NUGGET PIECES: Form 1 tbsp of minced chicken into nugget size. Dip in whisked egg, then dip in breadcrumbs, and place on a plate. Repeat until all chicken is coated with breadcrumbs.
FRY NUGGETS: Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Deep-fry chicken for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
SERVE: Dish out. Serve hot with a side of chili or tomato sauce.
- Freeze the nuggets. I normally don’t make this nuggets for eating immediately. It’s my homemade snack when I’m busy or to serve unexpected guest. This is something I make with the intention to freeze. To reheat, bake in oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Double the amount. This recipe makes about 20 pieces of nuggets. Sometimes I double the amount. Since I’m already going to spend some time making it, might as well make more.
- Not too cooked. If you intend to freeze the nuggets, you don’t have to fry until they are completely cooked. It’s enough to fry until the chicken paste is formed into a light golden, solid nuggets.
- Use fattier parts with some skin Initially this recipe use chicken breast. I tried it a few times. It tastes best using chicken leg with skin.
Make some of these delicious nuggets to freeze. When you’re hungry and need some snacks, you’ll thank yourself for your foresight!