For years I’ve been persuading my busy friends to occasionally make home-cooked food to nourish themselves. I know it’s hard – most of them are young professionals with no time, skills, or interest to cook.
But learning to cook for yourself (even if once in a while) is very important. It makes you more aware of what you put into your body. If you’re busy chasing money, you really do need an exceptionally strong and healthy physique.
So I simplified my Teriyaki Chicken recipe and make it in the Airfryer. Even if you don’t know how to turn on a stove, what more fry an egg, you can make this. It’s a matter of mixing a few seasonings into a bowl, and placing the chicken into the appliance. This recipe only took 5 mins hands-on time.
- Airfryer (using the grill pan) This is the model that I am using
- Paper towel (optional)
- Fork (optional)
- Small bowl
- Serving plate
- Mitten/ cloth (to remove bowl)
Easy Teriyaki Chicken in Airfryer
- 1 boneless chicken thigh, 250 g
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Teriyaki sauce:
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tbsp sake
- 3/4 tbsp honey
- Step 1 SALT CHICKEN. Rinse chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. Poke holes with a fork on the skin side. Rub chicken with a pinch of salt.
- Step 2 MAKE TERIYAKI SAUCE: In small bowl, add ingredients to make teriyaki sauce.
- Step 3 FRY CHICKEN :Place the chicken skin down on the grill pan (not the basket one which wouldn’t crisp up the skin). Place it at a corner to make space for the bowl of sauce. Cook at 180°C for 5 minutes.
- Step 4 COOK SAUCE: Open the Airfryer drawer while it’s still cooking, and place the bowl of sauce inside. Push it back in and let it cook for another 10 min.
- Step 5 SERVE: Remove the chicken onto a place. If you like, slice it into bite-size pieces (I use a pair of scissors). Remove the bowl with a mitten and pour over chicken. Garnish with chopped spring onions (optional)
Poke skin with fork & sprinkle 1/8 tsp of salt of 1 chicken thigh. Add in a bowl: 1 tbsp soy sauce + 1 tbsp mirin + 3/4 tbsp sugar + 3/4 tbsp sake + 3/4 tbsp honey. Place chicken skin-down on Airfryer grill pan. Set to cook @ 180°C for 5 min. After 5 min, put in bowl of teriyaki sauce to cook for another 10 min. Slice & serve.
- Crispy skin The original recipe marinate the chicken with sake for 10 minutes. However, to achieve the kind of crispy skin that I love, I omitted that step. I also make sure I pat dry the chicken and place the skin on the grill pan.
- Slice and garnish for better presentation. The dish looks so much better after you slice it and garnish with some spring onions. I like to cut it with a pair of sharp scissors, and pluck spring onions from my mini herb garden at home. But its totally optional. After all, I came up with this dish for people who have very little time, but would like to cook something simple at home.
- Using non-refined sugar. I try to limit the use of refined sugar in my cooking. I’m thinking to try using brown sugar or molasses. I believe it’ll taste good too.
- Fish. If you don’t like chicken, you can use fish instead (actually that is my preferred choice). Try mackerel or salmon.
- Non-stick pan. If you don’t have an Airfryer, you can still make this dish. I recommend that you use a non-stick pan.
Good luck and have fun!