This is one of the dishes that I teach at my cooking class; a lot of travellers chose to learn this this as they wanted to include turmeric into their meals.
I did not realise that besides being a healthy dish, it's also budget-friendly and incredibly sustainable when vegetables are scarce.
During this pandemic, we've been cooking for doctors in a hospital near us. As we are under partial lockdown and consequently food-chain supply is disrupted, we choose to buy longer shelf-life vegetables like cabbage.
TURMERIC, GARLIC & CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES
This dish contains a lot of superfood like cabbage, turmeric, mustard seeds, ginger, garlic and shallots.
Turmeric is recognised as one of the most potent spices in the world. Whereas garlic, shallots, and cabbage are cancer-preventive food.
All the top choices belong to one of only two superfood families: cruciferous vegetables and allium veggie family, which includes garlic and onions. As the researcher put it,"The inclusion of curiferous and allium vegetables in the diet is essential for effective dietary-based chemopreventive [cancer-preventing] strategies" - page 373 'How Not To Die', Dr.Greger
- knife + chopping board
- wok + spatula
Stir-Fry Cabbage with Turmeric & Mustard Seeds
A super nutritious stir-fry vegetable with superfood like cabbage, turmeric, garlic, and ginger.
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cm (5 g) old ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 2 dried chili, chopped into 1 inch
- 1/2 piece (70 g) carrot, shredded
- 1/2 piece (250 g) small white cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoon water
- Sea salt to taste (~1/2 teaspoon)
- Step 1 FRY SPICES: Fry shallots, garlic, and ginger - on low fire - until fragrant. Then, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and dried chillies. Fry until mustard seeds pop.
- Step 2 COOK CABBAGE: Add shredded carrot, cabbage, turmeric, and water. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Then simmer, covered, until cabbage is cooked.
- Step 3 SEASON: Add salt to taste and mix well.
Fry 1 sliced shallots + garlic + ginger until fragrant. Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds + 1 stalks curry leaves + 2 pieces dried chillies. Fry until mustard seeds pop. Add 1/2 pieces of shredded carrot +1/2 piece of cabbage + 1 tsp turmeric + 3 tbsp water. Mix well. Bring to a boil & simmer until cabbage is cooked. Add 1/2 tsp salt to taste and mix well.
1.FRY SPICES: Fry shallots, garlic, and ginger - on low fire - until fragrant. Then, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and dried chillies. Fry until mustard seeds pop.
2. COOK CABBAGE: Add shredded carrot, cabbage, turmeric, and water. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Then simmer, covered, until cabbage is cooked.
3. SEASON: Add salt to taste and mix well.
The good news is none of these food are expensive, yet they are some of the most nutritious food in the world. Why not cook some for your family, and perhaps any health care person you know?
LIKE THIS RECIPE? GET CURATED RECIPES IN YOUR INBOX
Every month, I write a personalised e-mail with my favourite recipes, food tips, and recent food adventures. Keep in touch with me by signing-up for my newsletter👇 OR follow me at my personal Instagram.