Now that we are in the middle of coronavirus pandemic – the whole world is in a lock down. One of the many inconveniences cause is…lacking of fresh vegetables supply!
My family had enough vegetables and meat stocked for weeks (we’re like that even on normal days because we cook and eat a lot 😂 ). After a week or so, most of our leafy vegetables are gone. But what we are left with are some of the healthiest vegetables.
HEALTHY & LASTING
This dish is probably one of the healthiest that you can find in the planet as it contains
- cruciferous vegetables i.e broccoli & cauliflower
- mushroom seasonings (instead of chicken stock/ MSG)
These vegetables are also much more long lasting. Cauliflower and broccoli can be kept in the fridge for about 2 weeks. It’s possible to keep carrots for a month!
PERFECT FOR BENTO LUNCHBOX
This dish is perfect to packed in lunchboxes. It doesn’t spoil/wilt as quickly. On top of its health benefit, it’s our choice of vegetables for our #NourishMYmedics project where we cook some healthy food for medical staff that we know to keep them healthy and fight coronavirus.
- Knife + chopping board
- Wok + spatula
Stir-Fry Mixed Vegetables with Garlic - 5 Ingredients
- Broccoli - 2 fist size
- Cauliflower - 2 fist size
- Carrot - 1/2 piece
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Mushroom seasonings OR salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon) diluted in 1 tbsp of water.
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Step 1 CHOP: Chop cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Chop carrot into half, slice lengthwise, then cut into half-moon slices. Peel garlic and mince.
- Step 2 BLANCH: Pour water into a pot and bring to a boil. Put in carrots to blanch for 1 minute. Then put cauliflower to blanch for another 1 minute. Lastly put broccoli and blanch for 30 seconds.
- Step 3 REMOVE VEGETABLES: Take out the vegetables into a separate plate. Pour away the water in the wok. Turn on the fire so that water will evaporate entirely before cooking.
- Step 4 FRY GARLIC: When the wok is dry, pour in oil and garlic into a wok. On medium heat, fry garlic until golden brown.
- Step 5 FRY VEGETABLES & SEASON: Pour in blanched mixed vegetables and diluted mushroom seasonings. Fry for 30 seconds or until well mixed. Dish out.
- Use mushroom seasonings for restaurant-like flavour Restaurant food is extra tasty because of MSG. If you want to achieve the same result but want to use a healthier replacement, consider using mushroom seasonings.
- Put a tablespoon of salt into the boiling water to retain the nutrient and colour of vegetables This will ensure that the vegetables nutrient remain inside as the high-mineral water due to the salt will go into the vegetables by osmosis. Without salt, the vegetable will have higher mineral content and nutrient will leak into the water instead.
- Steam the vegetables instead of blanching You can also steam the vegetables instead.
If you can’t get fresh vegetables often, this is a great dish as the vegetables keep well in the fridge for a long time.
Eat a rainbow…even if you can’t go to the supermarket often!