Whenever I feel that I don’t eat enough vegetables, this is what I’ll make. This hearty soup contains vegetables in variety of colours – red, orange, yellow, green and white – which give the soup different phytonutrients (beneficial nutrient for the human body and what gives food their colour).
I like that it’s so easy to sneak this dish into my meal. It’s suitable for breakfast, supper, and it makes a good accompaniment to western-style lunch or dinner. I love the peppery taste of this soup thanks to the bell peppers and generous amount of paprika. It’s filling, appetising and good for you!
- Pot + stove
- Mixing bowl
- Hand blender/ blender
- Baking tray + aluminium foil/ reusable baking sheet
Roasted Vegetable Soup
- FOR ROASTING
- 300 g pumpkin, chopped into chunks
- 1 green capsicum/ bell pepper, chopped into chunks & deseeded
- 1 red capsicum/ bell pepper, chopped into chunks & deseeded
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- TO BOIL
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 white onion
- 1 L water
- SEASONINGS & GARNISH
- 2- 3 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp herbs/ spices (e.g paprika powder)
- Black pepper
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Step 1 TO PREP: Preheat oven to 180°C. Slice onions and chop the rest of the vegetables into large chunks. Toss all vegetables except onion into the mixing bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss to mix well. Line baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Step 2 TO ROAST: Place vegetables on baking tray lined with aluminium oil. Roast at 250°C for 30 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.
- Step 3 TO BOIL: Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot. Fry onion until it begins to turn golden brown. Add roasted vegetables and 1 L of water. Let it boil uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Step 4 TO BLEND: Remove pot from heat and blend its content with a hand blender.
- Step 5 TO COOK & SEASON: Heat up the soup and bring to a boil again. Then season with salt and herbs of your choice.
- Step 6 TO SERVE: Scoop soup into a bowl. Garnish with pumpkin and sesame seeds, extra virgin olive oil. Season with more salt, pepper, and paprika powder if you like.
Preheat oven. Roast chopped vegetables (except onion) @250C for 30 min. Fry sliced onion in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add roasted veg + 1 L water in pot, boil uncovered 15 min. Blend. Boil & season.
- Use any herbs that you fancy Paprika is not a common ingredient in the Asian kitchen, you can substitute it with any kind of herbs. The good thing about this soup is that the base is rather neutral and could benefit from various flavouring. If you like spicy, try chili powder or/and black pepper. If you like herbs, try oregano or basil. I personally like flavouring it with paprika or cajun.
- Add some seeds Besides herbs, I also like to add more seeds into my diet. Hence I like to top this soup with seeds like pumpkin or sesame seeds; they are not only nutritious, but easily available and affordable in Asia (as compare to pine nuts for example).
- Freeze Make it in a batch and freeze them in separate containers.
2 thoughts on “Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Soup”
Pingback: RECIPE: Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Soup – JewelPie
Pingback: How to carve a rose from a tomato – New Malaysian Kitchen