When I was living alone and at the busiest point of my life, lentil curry is something I made very often. I make a big pot, separate it in small containers, and freeze them!
ABOUT LENTIL CURRY
In Malaysia, lentil curry (dal curry) is not only enjoyed by the Malaysian-Indian community; every Malaysian loves it! We love eating it at the Mamak (Indian-Muslims restaurant) with roti canai, the Malay word for prata or flat bread.
At home, we eat it with rice too. This recipe is taught to me by Aunty Clara, she cooks this ‘kari dal’ (lentil curry) for her family a few times a week. I first published her recipe here and in my cookbook.
SIMPLIFIED: 25 minutes including preparation, washing, and roti canai!
But this time, I’ve simplified it. Originally she uses dried chillies, fresh red chillies, and milk. I omitted all that. So this dhal curry is not only vegetarian, but also vegan. If you’re on a keto diet, this is perfect as it’s filling and rich in protein.
But I personally love it for its immense health benefits. The potent spices and rainbow coloured vegetables are so good for our body. The best thing is, you can make it in just 25 minutes!
While simmering the curry, I even have time to wash everything up and make a roti canai!
- pot with lid
- Knife + chopping board
Easy Lentil Curry In 25 Minute
The easiest lentil dhal curry recipe: 25 minutes INCLUDING PREPARATION & WASHING time! Only 3 simple steps!
- SPICES FOR FRYING
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 small Red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks Curry leaves
- 1 tsp mixed fenugreek & cumin (fenugreek, fennel, mustard, cumin seeds)
- VEGETABLES & DAL & WATER
- 3/4 cups (175 g)Misore Dal
- 3 cups (750 ml) Water
- 2 green chili
- 1 Brinjal, cut into an inch
- 1 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Tomato, halved
- 1/2 bulb Garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- Step 1 FRY SPICES: Fry the spices until fragrant or when the onions begins to turn brown.
- Step 2 COOK DAL: Put in dhal, all vegetables, and water in a pot for 15 minutes or until lentils soften.
- Step 3 SEASON: Season the curry with salt, turmeric, and chili powder.
- Mixed Spice is called ‘Halba Campur’ in Malay. You can use mustard seeds as a replacement. Find out more about the mixed fenugreek spice or talipu here.
Watch the video for more random little tips 🙂